Call for 2021 Master's Programs for International Students
The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) accepts international students through over 20 UCAS schools and over 100 institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
In 2021, UCAS provides over 200 Master’s programs that commonly last for 3 years. Certificates of graduation and degrees will be awarded to those who have met the requirements of graduation and degree conferment. Master’s programs are mainly instructed in Chinese or bilingual in Chinese and English, with only a few programs instructed in English. For Chinese-instructed Master Programs, please refer to UCAS Admission Information Website (see here). Please see the following information about English-instructed Master’s Programs:
Program in Pharmaceutical Science
The professional courses of this program include Molecular Biology and Genomics, Immunology and Biophysics, Functional Nanostructure: Synthesis, Characterizations and Device Applications, Physical Pharmacy, Pharmacy Development Frontier, Modern Pharmaceutics, Genetic Interpretation System, Protein Polypeptide Drugs’ Modification and Delivery, Molecular Pharmacology, Biotechnology and New Drug Research, Drug Discovery, Adverse Drug Reactions, etc. The program involves Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacology, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Analysis, Drug Design. The program aims to cultivate high-level pharmaceutical talents. Students in this program learn about the current status and future tendency of drug research, master the theories, methods and skills of pharmaceutical science, with the capability of independent drug discovery and technology development. The majors and related institutes, colleges for this program are as follows:
2. Application Guidance
2.1 General Conditions for Applicants
(1) Non-Chinese citizens.
(2) Be in good health, of good character, and willing to abide by China's laws and decrees, as well as UCAS’s rules and regulations.
(3) Holding a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in program-related fields with satisfactory performance.
(4) Get approval for application from a host supervisor in CAS and the institute/school that the supervisor is affiliated with.
(5) Language skills requirements:
● For programs offered in Chinese: should pass the new HSK band 5 with score more than 200;
● For programs offered in English: Good command of English.
Applicants whose native language is not English should provide unexpired TOEFL or IELTS scores. TOEFL scores should be 90 or higher, and IELTS scores should be 6.5 or higher. Applicants are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score only if their:
a) Native language is English, or
b) Major undergraduate courses are conducted in English/Chinese, which should be stated in transcripts;
3. Application Time
Please submit online application during December 1st, 2020–May 31st, 2021. For those who apply to UCAS for scholarship, please submit the above admission application documents along with scholarship application form before March 31st, 2021, the scholarship application deadline.
4. Application Guideline
(1) CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
You should verify that you meet ALL the requirements specified in the “General conditions for applicants” section of this call. You need to find an eligible professor of your interest that agrees to accept you. Send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, research proposal and other required documents to him/her, and indicate that you wish to apply for the master’s program of UCAS. Your supervisor should finish the required procedure illustrated in the email automatically sent to him/her by the UCAS system immediately after your application materials pass the preliminary review by the institute with which the supervisor is affiliated.
(2) SUBMIT YOUR ADMISSION APPLICATION VIA THE ONLINE SYSTEM
Applications shall be submitted via the Online Application System for International Students of UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) which would be officially launched around Dec. 1, 2020. Please prepare and upload the following materials to the system. Make sure the electronic version of supporting documentation is in the right format as requested for the online application system.
● Personal information page of ordinary passport
The passport shall have at least 2 years validity. According to Article 3 of the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China, any individual who was a Chinese national and then acquired a foreign nationality shall provide a Certificate of Cancellation of Chinese Household registration.
● Recent full-face bust photo with 2-inch
It is best to upload the photo used for passport.
● Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience
● Foreigner Physical Examination Form
● Bachelor’s degree certificate
Applicants having just completed or about to complete their Bachelor’s degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating their expected graduation date. They are required to submit Bachelor’s degree certificates to the International Students Office of UCAS via their host institute before they enroll in UCAS.
● Undergraduate study transcripts
● Proof of knowledge of English and/or Chinese
● Detailed research proposal
● Title pages and abstracts of published papers (if have)
If you have more than 5 papers, please upload no more than 5 of representative papers. Please DO NOT upload any unpublished paper.
● TWO reference letters from 2 professors or experts with the equivalent title
The referees shall be familiar with you and your work, NOT to be your host supervisor. The letters should be signed, dated on official headed paper with contact phone number and email address of the referees.
● Certificate of financial support (or complete the scholarship application procedure to UCAS)
For those who a. have already got financial support, please attach the certificate of financial support; b. are applying to study by self-support, please attach the affidavit of support from guarantors and a bank statement; c. are applying for scholarship program(s) to UCAS, please complete the scholarship application procedure(s).
● Bank Receipt of Application Processing Fee
1. All uploaded documents should be in Chinese or in English; otherwise notarial translations in Chinese or English are required. Once translated, the original documents and their notarial translations are required to submit together to the application system. Please use a scanner to prepare all the required documents in colour. Images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Copies are also not acceptable.
2. The university has the right to request applicants to provide the original or notarial hardcopies of their application documents for further qualification checks if the uploaded documents are insufficient. Applicants shall guarantee all the information and application documents submitted in this application are authentic and accurate, otherwise they will be disqualified from admission.
3. Application with incomplete documents, lack of some required documents or wrong personal information will not be processed.
4. The applicant cannot apply to more than one institute/school and supervisor.
5. Please choose major, host supervisor and host institute cautiously before submission. After enrolment at UCAS, applications for the change of these items are seldom considered.
6. Please DO NOT send any hardcopy of application materials directly to the International Students Office of UCAS. None of the application documents will be returned.
7. The Chinese Government Scholarship, ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents and UCAS Scholarship for International Students do not request for application processing fee.
8. Processing fee is non-refundable in any case.
9. Please prepare your application carefully. After submission, none will be returned to you for modifications.
5. Evaluation and Admission
UCAS enrolls international students based on evaluation of application documents together with a further matriculation examination. The admission committee of the applicable UCAS schools/CAS institutes will review the application documents and select applicants for further examination.
The examination will take the form of one of the following methods: ①Interview Exemption; ②Personal Interview; ③Interview plus written test. If an interview is required for admission, relative UCAS schools/CAS institutes will contact the applicant directly to set up an interview appointment and provide information about the interview process.
Admission is determined at UCAS school/CAS institute level with oversight by UCAS according to the result of the document review, the interview, and other factors. Admission Notices, Visa Application Forms and some other documents will be sent to the admitted students after the final admission result is released. Prior to this, applicants may check their admission status via the Online Application System for International Students of UCAS (here)
6. Visa Application and Registration
The admitted student should take his personal passport that is used for admission application, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), and original Form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as other original documents of physical examination to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa). Please do not enter China visa-free or with other types of visas other than X visa. Please keep the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202/ JW201) which are needed for registration and residence permit application.
The admitted student should register at the place indicated in the Admission Notice, and should register on the assigned date. Otherwise, they should get the university approval in advance.
7. Fees and Scholarship
7.1 Application Fee, Tuition, and Other Costs:
(1) Application processing fee: RMB 600 (Non-refundable);
(2) Tuition: RMB30,000;
(3) Accidental Injury and Hospitalization Insurance premium:
RMB 800/year, RMB 400/half year;
(4) Accommodation (shared rooms) fee: RMB 900/month for one student;
(5) Outpatient service fee is paid according to the insurance scheme from insurance company.
Board expenses, travel expenses and other cost of experiments, meetings or trainings beyond the program curricular is at the student’s own expense.
1. Currencies other than RMB, USD and EUR are unacceptable.
2. UCAS bank account information:
Beneficiary: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Account number: 11001059200053002790
Bank: Construction Bank of China
Beijing Municipal Dongfangguangchang Branch
3. Please specify the purpose of the remittance and the student’s name, nationality and passport number.
4. Due to the limitation of dormitory capacity, those who fail to make reservation need to find the accommodation off campus by themselves.
● Chinese Government Scholarship
The Chinese Government Scholarship sponsor international students to study at Chinese universities. The scholarship offers fee waivers of admission application and tuition, health insurance, on-campus accommodation, etc. Please refer to the website of the China Scholarship Council (http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/) for detailed introduction, qualifications of applicants and application procedure.
UCAS is one of the Chinese Government Scholarship universities. Eligible applicants may apply to the China Scholarship Council with recommendation from related national official departments and Embassies or Consulates of the People's Republic of China. The scholarship application usually starts in November and ends in the following April, but please be noted of deadline variations for different countries. The International Students Office of UCAS will offer pre-admission notice if needed.
Applicants may submit application via UCAS (see http://english.ucas.ac.cn/ for detailed information and application procedure). But this is only for a small number of excellent international students who are not currently studying in China.
● ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents
The program offers full scholarship for international students from all over the world to pursue graduate education at UCAS. It provides tuition and application processing fee waivers and living allowance, health insurance and international travel subsidy. Please refer to the UCAS website at http://english.ucas.ac.cn/ for detailed information and application procedure.
● UCAS Scholarship for International Students
The program offers full scholarship for international students to pursue graduate education at UCAS. It provides tuition fee waiver, health insurance and living allowance. Please refer to the UCAS website at http://english.ucas.ac.cn/ for detailed information and application procedure.
8. Contact Information
Mr. WU Yongzheng